This training will provide an overview of the Competent Professional Authority (CPA) role in performing WIC services including risk assessment, food package assignment, nutrition and breastfeeding education, and referrals. It will help the participant to apply WIC policy, based on federal regulations, to CPA functions. The participant will gain skills in client centered services to better serve the clients in their programs and to function as WIC team members.
This training is consistent with Accreditation Management Evaluation (ACME) standards.
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
WIC Virtual Training Binder
2020 Upcoming Dates & Locations
July 15-16, 2020
- Properly screen and assess the WIC client and assign appropriate nutrition risk factors.
- Determine appropriate food packages pertaining to clients’ risks and needs while maintaining compliance with regulations and policy.
- Properly assign and change a client’s food package in the electronic record.
- Describe how to properly screen and assess the client’s nutritional status and health concerns and assign appropriate risk factors.
- Develop Nutrition Education Plans incorporating clients’ concerns, needs and goals.
- Describe how to incorporate client-centered and critical thinking skills in nutrition assessment, education and documentation.
- Identify appropriate referrals with the community to meet client’s needs.
- Demonstrate proper food package assignments pertaining to client’s risks and preferences, while maintaining compliance with federal regulations and policy.
- Demonstrate how to properly process common food packages changes and manage benefits.
- Describe the key education points for client food redemption of authorized foods and utilization of benefits.
- Identify ways to support breastfeeding through assessment of the breastfeeding dyad and make appropriate, timely referrals.
- Nancy Erickson, MS, RD, CLE
- Tina Hickey
- CPA (Required within 1 year)
- RD/RDN (Required within 1 year)
- Coordinator (Required within 1 year)
- NE Coordinator (Required within 1 year)
- MI-WIC All Clinic Staff Training
- MI-WIC CPA Training
- MI-WIC One Year Certification and the Child Evaluation Appointment
Training Capacity: 18 participants
Number of trainings offered: 4 per year